Photo by Thought Catalog on Unsplash
Life is full of challenges and obstacles, but one of the most powerful tools we possess to unlock our full potential is our ability to experience and embrace discomfort. You might have heard it said this way, ‘get comfortable with being uncomfortable.’ While it may seem counterintuitive, discomfort can be life’s greatest gift, providing opportunities for personal growth, emotional resilience, and self-improvement. In my opinion, the downside of every adversity possesses the seeds of greatness. I see the world as a great big education, willing to provide all the needed lessons to grow your character.
The journey toward personal growth often requires getting comfortable with being uncomfortable. When we find ourselves in unfamiliar territory or facing adversity, our instincts push us to retreat to the safety and familiarity of our comfort zones. Our lizard brain kicks into high gear. Experience tells me comfort does not equate to growth. In fact, I often learn the most about myself and the world around me in my moments of greatest failure and discomfort.
Embracing discomfort allows us to develop emotional resilience, a crucial skill in navigating the challenges and complexities of life. When faced with difficulties, it is easy to become overwhelmed by our emotions and lose sight of the bigger picture. However, by leaning into discomfort, we can develop the emotional resilience needed to face adversity head-on and emerge stronger on the other side.
A growth mindset is a critical component of embracing discomfort. A growth mindset believes that our abilities and intelligence can be developed through dedication and hard work. Adopting this mindset makes us more likely to view challenges as opportunities for learning and growth rather than threats to our self-esteem.
So, how can we transform discomfort into growth? Here are a few strategies to help you harness the power of discomfort:
- Acknowledge your feelings: When discomfort arises, it is important to acknowledge your emotions and accept them as a natural part of the process.
- Reflect on past experiences: Remember when you have faced discomfort and emerged stronger. Use these experiences as a reminder that you can overcome challenges and grow through adversity.
- Set small, achievable goals: Instead of focusing on the enormity of a task or challenge, break it down into smaller, more manageable steps. This will make it easier to face discomfort and maintain momentum in your growth journey.
- Seek support: Surround yourself with people who share your growth mindset and can offer encouragement when encountering discomfort. A strong support network can make all the difference in your ability to embrace discomfort and grow through challenges.
- Celebrate your progress: Recognize and celebrate your achievements, no matter how small they may seem. By acknowledging your progress, you reinforce the connection between discomfort and growth, making it easier to embrace future challenges.
About Mike Brewer
My mission is to tease out the human potential in the multifamily space.