Photo by Alexandr Popadin on Unsplash
Hospitality in the multifamily space refers to the level of service and amenities offered to residents in an apartment community or other multifamily housing development. In recent years, there has been an increasing focus on elevating the hospitality experience in multifamily housing as developers and property managers seek to attract and retain residents in a competitive market.
Multifamily properties incorporate hospitality elements by offering a range of amenities and services similar to those found in hotels or resorts. This can include fitness centers, pools, outdoor grilling and eating areas, business centers, and services such as package delivery and dry cleaning.
The other aspect of hospitality in multifamily is the customer service provided to prospects and residents. This can include responsive maintenance and repair services, concierge-style assistance with tasks such as booking plant watering or dog walking services, and regular social and recreational events for residents.
In addition to amenities and services, some multifamily properties also incorporate technology to enhance the hospitality experience. For example, some properties offer virtual tours, online leasing options, and innovative home technologies that allow residents to control various aspects of their living environment from their phones, such as thermostat settings and access to delivery services.
Overall, the trend toward hospitality in the multifamily space is driven by the desire to create a more comfortable, convenient, and enjoyable living experience for residents. Multifamily properties can differentiate themselves by offering a wide range of amenities and services and excellent customer service.
Photo by Kenny Eliason on Unsplash
As a property manager, you know that all team members are essential to building a positive resident experience. However, maintenance technicians often have the most impact on residents, as they are the ones who interact with them the most. If you want to encourage and recognize the successes of your maintenance technicians, here are nine ways to do it:
- Pay a premium for good technicians and base raises on performance. Using maintenance management software, you can gather hundreds of data points about technician performance to measure their value to the company.
- Offer flexible hours to help technicians maintain a healthy work/life balance and reduce the chances of burnout. Centralization through technology can also improve the technician experience by allowing them to sync data and report to a central source, reducing the need to go back and forth to the leasing office constantly.
- Create a career path for technicians by offering training and grooming opportunities to help them advance or specialize. This can increase job satisfaction and make technicians more likely to stay with your company.
- Acknowledge and recognize the hard work and achievements of your technicians. This can include verbal recognition, small bonuses for going above and beyond, and proactively giving raises for consistently good performance.
- Offer professional development and training opportunities to help technicians improve their skills and advance their careers.
- Implement a rewards program that recognizes and rewards technicians for exceptional performance, such as meeting specific productivity goals or going above and beyond for residents.
- Provide technicians with the tools and equipment they need to do their jobs effectively, including access to technology and software that can help them be more efficient.
- Encourage a positive and supportive work culture where technicians feel valued and appreciated for their contributions.
- Provide perks or employee benefits that can make the job more enjoyable and rewarding, such as gym memberships, team-building events, or employee wellness programs.
By implementing some or all of these strategies, you can improve your maintenance technicians’ job satisfaction and performance, leading to a better resident experience and lower staff turnover rates.
Photo by Chase Clark on Unsplash
Staying focused and avoiding distractions is crucial for productivity and achieving goals. Here are ten strategies for staying focused and avoiding distractions:
- Create a schedule: Plan your day and stick to a schedule. This will help you stay on task and avoid procrastination.
- Eliminate distractions: Identify the sources of distractions in your environment and eliminate them. This could include turning off notifications on your phone, closing unnecessary tabs on your computer, or finding a quiet place to work.
- Take breaks: Short breaks throughout the day can help you stay focused. Use this time to stretch, take a walk, or do something else to refresh your mind.
- Use a timer: Set a timer for a specific amount of time and focus on a task for that amount of time. This can help you stay on task and avoid getting sidetracked.
- Prioritize tasks: Prioritize your tasks based on importance and focus on the most important tasks first. This will help you stay on track and achieve your goals.
- Use a to-do list: Keep a to-do list and check off tasks as you complete them. This will help you stay organized and motivated.
- Take care of yourself: Get enough sleep, eat well, and exercise. Taking care of yourself will help you stay focused and energized.
- Use noise-canceling headphones: If you work in a noisy environment, noise-canceling headphones can help block out distractions and help you focus.
- Use focus apps: Several apps available can help you stay focused. These apps can block distractions, track your progress, and more.
- Stay positive: Stay positive, and don’t be too hard on yourself. Stay on track and remind yourself of the progress you have made.
By following these strategies, you’ll be able to stay focused and avoid distractions, which will help you be more productive and achieve your goals. Remember, staying focused and avoiding distractions is an ongoing process, and it’s important to evaluate and adjust your strategies as needed regularly.
Photo by Kobby Mendez on Unsplash
Customer service is an essential component of any business and is particularly important in the multifamily property management industry. After all, happy residents are more likely to renew their leases and spread positive word-of-mouth about your property. In contrast, unhappy residents may choose to move out and discourage others from renting from you.
One way to ensure top-notch customer service in multifamily property management is to “deliver low and slow,” just like we do with dessert. This means taking the time to attend to your residents’ needs and wants carefully rather than rushing through their requests or neglecting their concerns.
For example, a resident contacts your office with a maintenance issue in their unit. Instead of simply sending a maintenance worker to fix the problem and moving on to the next request, consider taking a few extra steps to enhance the overall experience for the resident.
First, acknowledge the resident’s concern and let them know that you take their request seriously. This could be as simple as sending a quick email or leaving a voicemail message to let them know that you’ve received their request and are working on a solution.
Next, keep the resident informed throughout the process. Let them know when the maintenance work is scheduled to arrive and the plan for fixing the issue. If there are any delays or unexpected complications, communicate these to the resident. By showing that you’re transparent and willing to keep them in the loop, you’ll be able to build trust and establish a positive relationship with the resident.
Finally, don’t be afraid to go the extra mile. If the resident is delighted with the service they received, consider sending them a small thank-you gift or offering them a discount on their next month’s rent. These small gestures can make a big impact and help to create a memorable experience for the resident.
Photo by Jannes Glas on Unsplash
Multifamily property management is a team sport. It requires the cooperation and coordination of many players to ensure that a multifamily property is well-maintained, safe, and profitable.
At the heart of every successful multifamily management team is a commitment to excellence. Each team member must be willing to go above and beyond to ensure that the property is running smoothly and that the needs of residents are being met. This sometimes means doing things outside your traditional scope of work to deliver exceptional service.
But it’s not just about hard work. It’s also about communication and collaboration. Every team member must be able to effectively communicate with one another, sharing information and ideas to come up with solutions to challenges that may arise. And it’s not just about the property management team – it’s also about building strong relationships with residents, vendors, and other stakeholders to create a sense of community and ensure everyone is working towards the same goals.
So if you’re part of a multifamily property management team, remember that you are not alone. You are part of a group of dedicated professionals, each with unique skills and expertise, working together to achieve a common goal. Whether you’re a property manager, a maintenance technician, or a leasing agent, you play a vital role in the property’s success.
So don’t be afraid to step up and take on new challenges. Don’t be afraid to ask for help when you need it. And most importantly, get dedicated to working as a (capital T) Team. By coming together and supporting one another, you can create a property that is not just a place to live but a proper and proud home for your residents.