The Power of a Fresh Perspective
Photo by Karsten Winegeart on Unsplash
As a business leader, it’s easy to get caught up in the day-to-day operations of running a company. We focus on hitting targets, meeting deadlines, and ensuring everything run smoothly. And we shut people down by not keeping an open mind.
But what happens when things aren’t going as planned?
This is when a fresh perspective can be invaluable. A new point of view can help you see things in a different light and give you the insight you need to make important decisions. Using phrases like “tell me more” or “huh, I hadn’t thought about it that way” keeps the discussion open and moving.
Talk to your team members, prospects, residents, vendor partners, and competitors. Ask them for their thoughts on your business and how it could be improved. You may be surprised by what you learn.
Another way to gain a fresh perspective is to step back and take a look at the bigger picture. Instead of getting caught up in the details, try to see the forest for the trees. Ask yourself what the long-term goals of your business are and how you can work towards them. What is the why of our business? Why do we exist?
Finally, don’t be afraid to challenge your assumptions. Or kill the sacred cows. We all have a tendency to hold on to certain beliefs, even when they’re no longer true.
Be open to new ideas and be willing to change your mind.
“Huh, I hadn’t thought about it that way” is a phrase you should remember as a business leader. It’s a reminder to be open to new ideas and always look for ways to improve your business. You can navigate the most demanding challenges and achieve your long-term goals with a fresh perspective.
Photo by Md Mahdi on Unsplash
Self-doubt can be a major obstacle to achieving all we want to see and do in the world. It can cause us to question our skills and abilities. It can hold us back from taking action and ultimately prevent us from living a fulfilling life. However, overcoming self-doubt and staying confident is achievable with a few simple strategies.
- Identify the source of your self-doubt. Self-doubt can stem from various sources, such as past experiences, negative self-talk, or a lack of confidence in your abilities. This will likely be some of the hardest work you ever do. And it might require professional help. Don’t be afraid to ask; it will make all the difference. Because once you understand the source of your self-doubt, you can begin to work on addressing it.
- Challenge negative thoughts and beliefs. Negative thoughts can be compelling and spiral out of control if left unchecked. When you think negatively, take a step back and challenge the thought. Ask yourself if it is true; replace it with a positive belief or thought.
- Practice self-compassion. Being kind and understanding towards yourself is vital to building confidence and overcoming self-doubt. Instead of being hard on yourself, try to be compassionate and understanding. Remember that everyone makes mistakes and that it is okay not to be perfect. We are all broken in some way.
- Take action. One of the best ways to overcome self-doubt is to take action. Even if you don’t feel completely confident, taking small steps towards your goal can help to build momentum and confidence. Develop a bias for action.
- Surround yourself with positive people. This is the linchpin. The people you surround yourself with can significantly impact your confidence and self-doubt. Try to surround yourself with supportive and encouraging people who believe in your abilities. And eject the toxic relationships as tough as they might be.
- Celebrate your successes. No matter how small they may be, it is important to celebrate your successes. This will help you to recognize your progress and build confidence in your abilities.
The Power of Striving in Earnest
Photo by Possessed Photography on Unsplash
“The universe is happy to reward those who strive in earnest.” -Daniel Zoller, Author of Startacular
As leaders, it is our job to inspire and guide those around us to reach their full potential. One way to do this is by setting an example of hard work and determination. In other words, we must strive earnestly to achieve our goals and positively impact the world.
But why is it important to strive in earnest? Because the universe is happy to reward those who do. This may sound vague or even metaphysical, but it holds accurate repeatedly. When we put in the effort and dedication required to make our dreams a reality, the universe often responds by providing us with the resources and opportunities we need to succeed.
This is not to say that achieving our goals will always be easy or that the universe will hand us everything we want. But by consistently striving towards our goals with a sincere and unwavering commitment, we can create the conditions that make success more likely.
As leaders, let us remember the words of Daniel Zoller and always strive in earnest. Not only will it help us achieve our own goals, but it will also inspire those around us to do the same. By leading by example and showing that hard work and determination can lead to great rewards, we can create a culture of excellence within our organizations.
Believing in Your Work: The Power of Purpose in Business
Photo by Austin Chan on Unsplash
As a professional in the multifamily space, I am constantly looking for ways to impact the world positively. I believe that the most fulfilling businesses are those that provide a valuable service or product and contribute to and actively engage with their local communities. In our case, a person’s home.
This quote from Anita Roddick, the founder of The Body Shop, resonates with me deeply. I, too, want to work for a company that I can not only invest in financially but also believe in on a personal level. I want to be part of an organization that operates ethically and sustainably and gives back to the community in meaningful ways.
Take Care of People or Take Care of the Thing
But it’s not just about the company – it’s also about the people behind it. As Anita Roddick said, “I want something to believe in.” When we work for a company that aligns with our values and beliefs, it becomes more than just a job – it becomes a passion. We are motivated to do our best work, not just because it’s our job, but because we genuinely believe in what we do and its impact.
So, if you are an entrepreneur, intrapreneur, or business leader, I encourage you to consider your company’s impact on your community. How are you contributing to the greater good? How are you creating a positive and meaningful work environment for your employees? When we work for something that we believe in, it enriches our lives and has a ripple effect on those around us.
Anita Roddick’s words serve as a reminder to all of us to strive for more than just financial success in our careers. Let’s work for companies that make a difference and be part of building a better world for everyone.